I have scoured the Interweb to find out what exact day Penguin Awareness Day really is on, but I am finding not much consensus. Some people say the 13th, 14th, 18th, 19th, 20th, and some wacky folks say it’s in August. There doesn’t seem to be an official web site for it so it’s almost up in the air. I’m finding that the 20th is popular among the more reputable sites such as the Edinburgh Zoo and the ASPCA. Holiday Insights also agrees with the randomness being weird. Heck, I think every day is penguin awareness for me. What can you do to celebrate?
- Wear penguiny colors. Maybe black pants with a white shirt?
- If you can, go see some penguins. This may be at the zoo, aquarium, or a local colony for you lucky fellows in Australia.
- Watch a movie or video that is about penguins or just has a penguin in it. March of the Penguins, Happy Feet, Madagascar, or even some Chilly Willy. Adam Sandler’s 50 First Dates has a penguin named Willie that’s a riot.
- Go to the library and find some penguin related material to read whether it be fiction or non-fiction.
- Search the Internet for penguin information. A good place to start is Wikipedia.
- Play some penguin themed or oriented games whether they be Internet-based, board-games, or imaginary.
- Anything else I’m missing?